2nd Career Law Students: Support the Cohort creates community. Returning students bring valuable perspective and experience to their classes and classmates. Sharing common issues and experiences, they form a unique-to-every-school cohort. This program addresses those issues as it:
- introduces 1Ls, 2Ls, 3Ls, 4Ls, Visitors, and Transfers to one another enhancing this cohort;
- banishes the idea that “I am the only Old One in my class;”
- removes “Why did you come to law school?” from the Attack Question category;
- covers advantages and pitfalls of building on a previous career, and expecting raises, promotions, autonomy, responsibility, and minimal supervision because of age;
- discusses age discrimination, coping, and where to go for help; and
- demonstrates how a Chronologically Enriched student can be a bonus hire.
I created this program at the University of Minnesota Law School, presented it 10+ times, once at NALP, and twice in 2011. In March 2011 at St. Mary’s Law, it brought out the largest-ever crowd of second career students.
Like all Pass the Baton Programs, this one is cost effective. Special pricing for 2014-2015.
(1) Share expenses and partner with other schools, bar associations, student groups, bar prep vendors, and/or student services;
(2) $550 per program plus travel expenses. Program fee includes electronic handouts and access to Susan Gainen for you and your students and alumni;
(3) Same school, same trip, repeat program, $300;
(4) Same school, same trip, other programs, $500 each.
To create a multi-program curriculum or a single program, contact Susan Gainen at email@example.com or 651.917.0219.